Wednesday 13 June 2018

One Haircut



For many of us, going home at the end of a hard day at work is the best feeling in the world. Kicking off your shoes, falling into the waiting arms of your soft-cushioned sofa, having a cuppa, and getting your next binge on Netflix on. For some however, this is a feeling they dream of.

The Salvation Army runs many homeless shelters across the United Kingdom. Its gives those without a home to go to, the chance to rest their heads every night. Many of the homeless men and women cannot afford rented accommodation, and are forced to beg on the streets. This can become a way of life very quickly, and often goes unnoticed to the more fortunate amongst us.

As student barbers, we have seen many homeless men over the last 2 years at the Salvation Army hostel in Edinburgh. Every one of these men we have spoken to, has a reason for staying there. At some point, all the men have made mistakes. They have chosen a course of action that has led them down the wrong path. They will admit, that it has been difficult for them to come to terms with their faults.

Edinburgh College has, for some time now, sent its student barbers to the hostel, not only to gain experience in cutting hair, but also to give something back to the community in the form of free haircuts. We met various men over the last two years.

'Chris', one of the many men we have seen and worked with, came to us almost two years ago, having just become homeless due to a family bereavement, that completely turned his world upside down. He quit his job, left his wife, turned to alcohol for comfort, and began a life in and out of the police holding cells. Every weekend he would spend two-or-three nights at a time, committing minor offences that required him to be arrested. The idea that wanting to be arrested, just to be given a roof over his head, meant Chris could escape his broken world.

Chris was tremendously funny, intelligent, but lonely man. He was torn apart inside. He felt worthless, with nothing to live and fight for, until one thing.

A haircut.

One Haircut, his first in over 3 years, inspired him. Chris recounts the change he felt in himself as he walked out of the shelter of The Salvation Army at the Pleasance.

"I knew straightaway. I looked in the mirror as the girl held it up in front of me. I smiled for the first time in years. it was like magic. Every shop window I walked passed, I stopped to look at myself and my new look.

"I wanted to give them (the students) money, but they wouldn't take it. They gave a new lease of life. I cannot thank them enough."

I ran into Chris not that long ago, he recognised me for the baseball cap I was wearing. His attention to detail was amazing. He explained to me how his luck had turned around in the last 6 months. A new job. A new flat share. A new girlfriend even. Chris looked so happy, and he attributed it all to one haircut.

"You have no idea what happened to me that day. A group of young men and women, learning a new skill, came into the hostel, and gave, not just me, but others too, a fresh outlook on life. I came back every month for my haircut, and every month, things began to get a little better. Edinburgh College Lecturers and Barbers, and The Salvation Army gave me my life back - Thank you just doesn't cover it."

All it takes in life is to give a little something back. We are all guilty of 'Take. Take. Take.' In this instance, all it took, was to give something back. One Haircut.




No comments:

Post a Comment